Friday, August 17, 2007

Tails of Courage...Felix saves the day!




There are cats, and then there are Cats. Felix is a cat like no other. I do not need to recount Felix's strength of will, stamina and courage as he went 10 weeks with almost no food and water and then was pronounced all but dead by the vet that examined him. Reaching into his bag of tricks Felix quickly returned to full health, but he most certainly used up a good number of his 9 lives in the process. The other evening after we returned from a walk in the neighborhood I put Luke, Grant and Samuel in the shower and Sara headed into our bathroom for a shower too. I then proceeded straight for the fridge for some quick hydration...yes, the King of Beers...Budweiser! On my way back to check on the boys I saw Felix crouched down looking and swatting at something in a corner by some bookshelves. I walked over to check it out, usually it's nothing more than a rubber band but sure enough this time it was a scorpion! Without regard for his own personal safety Felix had cornered the little arachnid and was keeping him at bay, not doubt waiting for back-up to arrive. So I grabbed a nearby game board and pushed it right on its back, which did not cut it in half or even seem to injure it, more like enrage it as its tail repeatedly stung the game board. So I yelled for Sara to come help, no answer, I yelled again...same results. So I yelled for Luke who came out of the shower and got me a Tupperware sandwich container and lid. I deftly captured the intruder to Luke's amazement. Luke and Grant wanted to keep it as a pet which mommy was not in favor of. I then took the opportunity to discuss with the boys what they should do if they come face to face with the pure evil that is the scorpion...this is about the 5th scorpion that we have caught in this house. Not to mention the 5 black widow spiders I have killed outside our house and in the garage.But it was Felix who was our first line of defense against the sting of the scorpion. Armed with nothing but 2 paws (clawless at that!), his mouth and a fierce protective instinct Felix risked the scorpion's scorn to save his masters!Felix, the bravest cat in the world!

2 comments:

GI Joe said...

I wept as I read the story of Felix's courage. That's why I love Felix. I would have helped but I was engaged in an evening snack. Signed, Cosmo, the Big Orange Cat.

GI Joe said...

If everyone was more like Felix, oh what a better world this would be.