Thursday, June 12, 2008

One of those days....Snakes and lots of icky things!

Excuse me sir, will that one eat my cat? Luke checking out the "puny" snakes
Why am I always stuck in this seat?
It may be puny but I can't keep my hands off it!
Notice both Grants hands down at his side.

If you ever watch TLC's show Jon and Kate plus Eight, you see what our life is like (divide their kids by half though!). At the very beginning, in the intro you hear Kate say "Today I could very well lose my mind". I hear myself saying that to no one in particular when my days tend to get hectic. Well, today was that day!
It started out innocent enough. I woke up and the first thing I did was call Joe. He was working out of town all day today, but I called to let him know in my dream he had gotten two tickets: one for speeding and one later in the day for an illegal turn. I thought it was rather funny. That is until he informed me that he *thinks* he might have made a turn at a red light at one of the few intersections in town that have red light cameras. So I'll be looking for that ticket in our mail in a few days!
So the next thing was the Reptile Man. Our library here in town was not going to have the snake man, but the next town over was. So yesterday I got the boys all excited about seeing snakes, got them ready to walk out the door, when I realized I had the wrong day. It was today! So after all that yesterday we HAD to go! When we got there I noticed about 20 moms with kids standing outside the library. I just assumed it would be outside. No such luck. I was greeted by a mob of very angry moms. The room was full, due to the fact that a school summer program had brought their kids in a big bus and the firecode prevents anymore people. There were lots of kids crying! So considering my options, and being super upset that I had driven four boys all that way I went in to talk with the librarians as diplomatically as I could. The man couldn't do another presentation but she was willing to let me wait until it was over and they boys could go in then. So we sat around and read books and then the boys went in.
Luke being the snake lover he is was very disappointed that they weren't HUGE, or super venomous (being poisonous wasn't enough, where is the Black Mamba when you need one? Apparently the rattlesnake and copperhead were "puny").
Later that day we had to ALL go to my dr's appt. That was fun. Four kids trapped in that tiny room. I had promised the boys a Sonic slushy if they were good. I won't get in to details-but I'll tell you this much, only Sammy got one. Oh--and me to because I really really needed one!
Then just when my day is almost over and I can sit on the couch and eat bon bons, I remember Joe isn't in town and won't be home until late. So for the third time we load up the van and take the older boys to VBS. When I get home I see my favorite UPS man (and I really mean this--he usually is great!) has left all the boxes of furniture I ordered right on my front step. I squeeze all the way past all 7 (yes I said 7!) boxes and get the boys in the house and then attempt to carry all the boxes in. They are so heavy! And my lovely neighbor watched me grunt and push and slide all of them from his front porch. In case you are wondering, I ordered an Armoire for the boys playroom, two big toybox/benches, and two bookcases for my sewing room. All assemble yourself. I thought I would tackle an easy toybox, but it didn't turn out so easy with Karsten climbing on it, grabbing the screwdriver and trying to eat the screws. Then we loaded the van for the fourth time and went and got the other rascals. Just when we pulled in and everyone was having meltdowns Daddy pulled in to the driveway (my knight in shining armor!)
I'm not sure why I thought I would share our day today. All in all it really wasn't so bad. I think the hardest part was not having Joe to help out, which he does so often. I guess with Fathers Day around the corner it reminds me to think of all the things he does for our family! There is no way I could ever do this alone, so I'm so thankful for Joe. And for the humor he brings to it--because we certainly need it!

No comments: